How can we Contribute ?

General discussion of Mantis.

Moderators: Developer, Contributor

MichelBaily

How can we Contribute ?

Post by MichelBaily »

Dear All,
I've introduced Mantis to my company and we are more than happy with it.

I'm currently trying to explain to my direction the difference between a Free software and a free beer... ;-)
My problem with Mantis is that I do not find a way to reward development team
neither a way to contact Mr Boctor to ask what could be helpful.

Is there a Paypal account, a bank account, or an other way to reward the dev team or to support future developments ?

Best regards,

Michel
atrol
Site Admin

Re: How can we Contribute ?

Post by atrol »

MichelBaily wrote: I'm currently trying to explain to my direction the difference between a Free software and a free beer... ;-)
l
You hopefully succeeded after drinking not too much of free beer.
MichelBaily wrote: Is there a Paypal account,
AFAIK there has been one some time ago. I will ask.
MichelBaily wrote:or an other way to reward the dev team or to support future developments ?
There is, see https://www.mantisbt.org/wiki/doku.php/ ... ntributing
Please use Search before posting and read the Manual
paul

Post by paul »

Michel,

The decision was made a long time ago not to ask users for donations.

Mantis has been developed by a number of people, and if donations were accepted, those would have need to have been shared amongst contributors.

I spent over 10 years working on Mantis and received nothing for my time and neither did other members of the team. Victor took a 3-4 year break from development and now seems to focus on commercial ventures, which is a shame as he is effectively trying to make money from the work that others have put in. (That's not to say that he hasn't put in effort himself over his 10 years of involvement)

My reason for first joining Mantis was that I was told we would not collect donations and it would always be free.

Paul
Would you be interested in testing support for non-mysql backends for MantisBT? if yes, please email paul@mantisforge.org
atrol
Site Admin

Post by atrol »

First of all:
I am happy to see a new user who is happy when using MantisBT.
I am happy to see a new user who want's to contribute to the project in some way.
paul wrote: The decision was made a long time ago not to ask users for donations.
no one asked for it, Michel offered.
Of course, I prefer the contributions mentioned in Wiki, but a lot of our users don't have time or the right talent to contribute in that way.
paul wrote:those would have need to have been shared amongst contributors.
Sure? I think it should first be used for the project, e.g. pay for the hosting, pay a designer if there is no contributor with such skills, ...
After this is payed we might have to discuss sharing amongst contributors. But are we there?
paul wrote: Victor took a 3-4 year break from developmentl
Same for you in 2011-2013
paul wrote: and it would always be free.
It is free. Am I wrong?

Please write to the developer mailing list if you want to discuss this.
The post of new user in forum is not the right place for it.
I hope I will not have to waste my time in discussions like:
I contributed by writing 10000 lines of code, I expect to get more money than another contributor who wrote 10000 lines of comments in forum.
I am quite sure that we will find a way that you will get your part of the non existing millions of
dollars that Michel will pay to the non existing Paypal account ;-)
Please use Search before posting and read the Manual
paul

Post by paul »

OK, let me rephrase.

The decision was made a long time ago not to accept financial donations for mantis coding etc as it wouldn't be feasible to share freely. I only contributed to the project on that basis.

In terms of mantis time I DID NOT take a break during 2011-2013. Work was done then on what was going to be version 2. IF you look at the commit history of the other branches you would see that. I think we've had a list discussion on that topic before.

Paul
Would you be interested in testing support for non-mysql backends for MantisBT? if yes, please email paul@mantisforge.org
vboctor
Site Admin

Post by vboctor »

Michel,

It is great to know that you are liking MantisBT and using it successfully in your company. The best way to contribute to us that doesn't require time investment is to recommend MantisBT to others, whether it is via word of mouth or social media (i.e. tweet about MantisBT).

Thanks again.
Migrate your MantisBT to the MantisHub Cloud