Facility to Batch-add a large number of projects at one go

Post about your customizations to share with others.

Moderators: Developer, Contributor

hmackiernan

Facility to Batch-add a large number of projects at one go

Post by hmackiernan »

I searched a bit in this forum and didnt' see that anyone had implemented this, but preemptive apologies if I've missed it
----------
We are poised (so close!) to implementing Mantis and as I'll be administering it, I don't really relish manually adding the upwards-of-200 projects we'll need to have 8O , adding users to each project, adding the standard set of custom fields, categories, etc.

I suppose I could suss out what needs to go into the DB, manually generate the SQL and let it rip, but it would be more elegant if there were an in-application facility to do the following tasks :
- batch-create projects, sub-projects, perhaps from a simply-formatted text, or maybe XML file
- once the projects have been created, add custom fields, users and/or categories to large numbers of them at once, or at the very least, *do* something to project A and have those somethings propagate to all subprojects.

So I guess I'm really asking for:
- a batch-add facility for projects
- a way to apply actions to multiple projects at once

Anyone? If I do end up writing it myself I'll be sure to post what I come up with here.

Thx in advance
h MacKiernan
--------
we will probably go live with 1.0.x and upgrade to 1.1.x as soon as it is available and stable. We're using MySQL on the back end
vboctor
Site Admin

Post by vboctor »

The Manage Project page typically allows copying information from one project to another. For example,

- Create Project A
- Create Categories for Project A
- Create Project B
- Go the Manage Project page for Project B
- Copy categories from Project A

You can use MantisConnect to create projects programatically. However, the code that allows you to do that is not yet in an official release.

The schema for creating projects, categories, and versions is very simple, so I assume it shouldn't be too hard to pump stuff directly in the database.

Let me know how you go and submit any code that you might implement to get this task done. Thanks.
schrysanthou

Re: Facility to Batch-add a large number of projects at one

Post by schrysanthou »

Has anyone managed to batch add a large number of project or sub project in one go?