Exclude specific emails

This plugin allows you to report an issue in MantisBT by sending an email to a particular mail account

Moderators: Developer, Contributor

cas

Exclude specific emails

Post by cas »

We have the situation that if we send out a message to some one who is not in the office and activated his "Out of Office".
This will lead to a new issue which is what we clearly do not want.
Question is , is it worthwhile to add an exclude option to the plugin or to arrange this on the mailbox itself?
Look forward to have your views.
SL-Gundam

Re: Exclude specific emails

Post by SL-Gundam »

This is an issue which I've thought about several times already.

There is a optional field in the email headers which could contain a value when the email is an auto submitted email like out of office emails.

Problem is that a lot of mail servers (including Exchange 2010 and earlier versions) do not use such a field. Other mail servers sometimes use a different field but that does not help much if every mail server uses a different field. This makes it very unreliable.

So the only solution i could think of was the rule system.... which is still in development :oops:

What mail server are you using? That way we can look into your options
cas

Post by cas »

We use exchange, now 2003 but is moving to 2010.
For now, we will solve it by putting a rule on the mailbox, based upon the subject. We only get email from internal and only support english so it is just one rule :mrgreen:
Look forward to see your rule engine but I can imagine it it is a tough chal :!: lenge
SL-Gundam

Post by SL-Gundam »

The tough part is making it user friendly. It would be simpler if i let the user fill in complete pcre regex strings but most users cannot work with that. So then you try to make it user friendly but comes the added bonus that you lose flexibility if you do not make the proper decisions in setting the whole thing up

But it is fun challenge :D Just very time consuming
arune

Post by arune »

Hello
We have the same issue with out-of-office autoreplies in mantis, if you close an issue and one of the people that get the mail sends an autoreply that reply becomes a comment and so the issue is reopened.

I think we are running exchange 2007, what we can see in the headers it does not fill any specific field, it only adds "Out of office" (or in Swedish "Frånvaro") base64 encoded in the subject, the generic solution is a rules system but if I were to hard code this the easy way, could I get a pointer to where to add such check?

cas, that solution with a rule on the mailbox, is that a rule on all receivers of mails from mantis or could it be applied for all users in some central way somehow?

/Anders
SL-Gundam

Post by SL-Gundam »

Easiest would be to log into the Outlook web access interface with the mantisbt mailbox and put a rule on all incoming emails
arune

Post by arune »

Thanks! Will try this, great solution.