Version 3.12.0 release?

The Mylyn connector for MantisBT allows you to manage your bugs straight from Eclipse.

Moderators: Developer, Contributor

mvreux

Version 3.12.0 release?

Post by mvreux »

Hello,

Eclipse mylyn's mantis task synchronization suddenly and mysteriously stopped working. So after updating mantis to 2.12.0, and making sure Eclipse and all its plugin is fully up to date, I'm still out of luck. After googling the error I get, I see this is a known issue of the Mylyn mantis connector that was already fixed more than 5 months ago, but never released.

On the github repo, there is supposedly a CI tool that holds the latest nightly build, but the latest one is from 2011.

Can I hope for a release soon or is the mantis connector not supported anymore, and I will have to manually build the connector myself from the github sources?
mvreux

Re: Version 3.12.0 release?

Post by mvreux »

So, since I didn't get a single feedback in two weeks, and the plugin maintainer has not been active over a month, I figured I would post this for those who got stuck like me and would still like to use mantis within eclipse...

I had to build the 3.12.0 version myself from source, and it seems to be working fine! My task are now synched again, and I even have the ticket numbers back in the listing. Here is how I did it :

Prerequisites:
  1. maven installed on your machine (I'm using 3.0.4)
  2. Eclipse installed on your machine (I'm using eclipse oxygen 4.7.2)
  3. Eclipse Mylyn plugin installed
  4. Eclipse mantis mylyn connector uninstalled: to do so, go to Help > About Eclipse > Installation details > Installed software, and type "mantis". You should see "Mylyn Tasks Connector: Mantis". Click on it, then select "Uninstall..." at the bottom of the window. Uninstalling the connector will NOT make you loose your connection and filters, but they won't show anymore until you install the mantis connector again.
Steps to build & install verion 3.12.0
  1. Go to https://github.com/Mylyn-Mantis/mylyn-mantis.
  2. Click "Clone or download", then "Download zip".
  3. Unzip to "mylyn-mantis-master".
  4. Copy file "mantis.target" from the "mylyn-mantis-master" to each sub folder (not recursively, obviously). Build would crash without me doing this.
  5. With the command line, go to the folder "mylyn-mantis-master" location.
  6. Use the following command:

Code: Select all

mvn clean install -e -DskipTests
    You'll notice the tests are being skipped. This is because they contain an url that doesn't exist anymore, and will cause the tests to crash, preventing the build. This is not ideal, but as I'm not the maintainer, I'm not going to alter to code to fix the tests.
  7. Once the entire project is built, go to mylyn-mantis-master/com.itsolut.mantis-site/target : the file "com.itsolut.mantis-site-3.12.0-SNAPSHOT.zip" contains a local version of the update site.
  8. In Eclipse, go to Help > Install new software > Add...
  9. For "Name", fill an arbitrary name, e.g. "Mylyn Mantis connector 3.12.0"
  10. For "Location", click "Archive..." and choose "mylyn-mantis-master/com.itsolut.mantis-site/target/com.itsolut.mantis-site-3.12.0-SNAPSHOT.zip"
  11. Click "OK". You should now be able to install "Mylyn Tasks connector: Mantis" version 3.12.0
I personnally had issues while trying to also install the optional "Mylyn Tasks connector: Mantis WikiText", so I didn't install it.

Even though uninstalling the older connector didn't make me loose my configuration, I still deleted a and re-created my filters to have fresh, correctly formatted tickets.

I hope this helps someone!
Last edited by mvreux on 03 Apr 2018, 09:47, edited 3 times in total.
Starbuck

Post by Starbuck »

Thanks for your notes. I'm looking at documentation updates for plugins and will be sure to add this wherever it seems best.
If you want Mantis to work differently, use or create a plugin. Visit the Plugins forums.
Ask developers to create a plugin that you need - and motivate them to help you!
rombert

Post by rombert »

Sorry for the ... um ... large delay. I've released 3.12.0, see https://mantisbt.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=25625
Starbuck

Post by Starbuck »

Thanks @rombert. I see the wiki tools page is still pointing to the Sourceforge repo rather than Github. I'll look into that.

@mvreux - when you get a chance, will you verify that the latest changes address the issues you've described?
If you want Mantis to work differently, use or create a plugin. Visit the Plugins forums.
Ask developers to create a plugin that you need - and motivate them to help you!
mvreux

Post by mvreux »

Thanks for the update! I'm afraid I won't be able to test this new version any time soon though - my company implemented a new firewall that blocks virtually all jars and many other things that weren't blocked before. I've been fighting for a month to get this fixed, but it's not really in their top priorities right now...