mantis_bug_file_table size, mysql and performance

General discussion of Mantis.

Moderators: Developer, Contributor

dregad
Developer

mantis_bug_file_table size, mysql and performance

Post by dregad »

Hi all,

On our Mantis implementation, I have approx. 10'000 bugs in the system, with nearly 3'500 attachments.

We use MySQL (MyISAM engine) on a SuSE 10 VMWare server. The total DB size is approx. 1.2 GB on disk, and mantis_bug_file_table accounts for 98% of this. Over the past 3-4 months, I have seen this table increase by nearly 60%...

Application performance is still generally OK (inserts and deletes are fast), but MySQL storing this table as a single file, is causing some issues for maintenance (backups - I'm using mysqlhotcopy), as copying it requires over 1 hour now for that table alone (rest of the Mantis DB is done in about 5 minutes). Updating data in the table is also painfully slow (I had to fix one of the varchar columns, which had the wrong collation sequence following migration from another system).

So, questions to the resident experts:
Do you think these kind of copy rate (about 260 K/s) is normal, i.e. is it an OS performance issue ?
Should I switch to another Engine, e.g. InnoDB ?
Is mysqlhotcopy right backup tool to use ? Considering that this table is mostly static, can it be backed up incrementally ?
Any other advice on what I can or should do to improve this ?

Thanks
Damien

PS: Please, no advice like "disable / reduce maximum size of attachments"... :wink:
atrol
Site Admin

Re: mantis_bug_file_table size, mysql and performance

Post by atrol »

How is your copy rate when using cp command to copy the database file?
This will show you if the performance bottleneck is related to MySQL or OS.
Please use Search before posting and read the Manual