Mantis 1.3 - Oracle Fixes

General discussion of Mantis.

Moderators: Developer, Contributor

miked1234

Mantis 1.3 - Oracle Fixes

Post by miked1234 »

Does anyone know what date Mantis 1.3.x stable version will be available to be downloaded? I'm interested in all of the Oracle bug fixes that are listed in the change log. If there is no date set, what is the suggested means of having a version with the Oracle fixes on a stable branch?
atrol
Site Admin

Re: Mantis 1.3 - Oracle Fixes

Post by atrol »

No one is able to tell you a date as there is an open discussion what should be done before releasing a first alpha version.
Especially there is no common decision until now about the database abstraction layer that will be used.
For more details you can have a look at the developer mailing list.
http://sourceforge.net/p/mantisbt/mailman/mantisbt-dev/
Please use Search before posting and read the Manual
miked1234

Post by miked1234 »

Thanks for the speedy response! In that case, does anyone have the best suggested route to get an oracle version as stable as possible? I know that DREGAD has an oracle release here: https://github.com/dregad/mantisbt/tree/oracle but I noticed there was an SQL injection security fix recently that isn't in this version.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
atrol
Site Admin

Post by atrol »

Write also to the help mailing list where more developers are listening.
http://www.mantisbt.org/mailinglists.php
Maybe
grangeway will tell you to wait for PDO based 2.0 or
dregad will support you on getting a 1.3 based solution.

But be aware that 1.3 and 2.0 are no stable releases.
You have to use MySQL if you want to use a stable MantisBT in short term.

We would certainly be happy to have someone who tests the Oracle versions and submits bugs.
Please use Search before posting and read the Manual
dregad
Developer

Post by dregad »

miked1234 wrote:I know that DREGAD has an oracle release here: https://github.com/dregad/mantisbt/tree/oracle but I noticed there was an SQL injection security fix recently that isn't in this version.
As a matter of fact I merged 1.2.17 into the oracle branch a few days ago, so that SQL injection issue should be fixed, however please be aware that I have done zero testing on this.
paul

Post by paul »

Mike,

Thanks for your interest in Mantis and in using Oracle.

Support for non-mysql Databases in Mantis is currently known to be broken.

We are currently working on implementing a new DB layer in Mantis that will fix support for other databases.

For now, until we release this new Database layer in 2.0, I'd strongly advise you to use Mysql with Mantis as you are likely to hit problems when using Mantis with other database engines (and possible future upgrade issues)

I initially implemented the support for other databases in Mantis 10 years ago, and working on replacing that layer due to the current issues. If you would be interested in testing the fixed support for oracle, please drop me an email at paul@mantisforge.org to get involved.

Thanks
Paul
ddebusk

Post by ddebusk »

Hello,

Any further ideas on when a stable 1.3 will be available?

I tried searching the Mantis BT forums and Mailing lists for this information and this thread seemed appropriate.

Thanks in advance,
David
paul

Post by paul »

it'll probably be a short while yet (as we've not even done any alpha releases)

At the same time, I'd argue if you are looking for a stable experience that you may be better waiting to see when we release the new db layer, to avoid any possible upgrade issues etc.

Note: that's my personal opinion, but historically our support for other database engines has had issues hence the plane to replace the db layer once 1.3 is out the door. I'm waiting for a stable release with the new database layer to use at work myself, and getting to that point as soon as possible is my personal main focus as soon as 1.3 is shipped. My aim would be to start a testing process for the main database shortly after the final 1.3 release.
Would you be interested in testing support for non-mysql backends for MantisBT? if yes, please email paul@mantisforge.org