UnAssign on Resolved or Closed?

General discussion of Mantis.

Moderators: Developer, Contributor

Starbuck

UnAssign on Resolved or Closed?

Post by Starbuck »

I'm not sure if this should be changed or not. When we set a bug to status Resolved, we get the option to manually unset the AssignedTo person. Every time I see that I think it should default to UnAssign from whomever is currently assigned. There seems to be no reason to leave a Resolved task assigned to an individual, even though the status is not Assigned. The only scenario I can think of is that after resolution the task might be assigned to a manager who will manually Close all tasks. But in this case the AssignedTo user should be changed by default to that manager. When it goes to Closed, I'd think there should be no option - the AssignedTo user should be auto-removed.

So what is the thinking about how this should work? If there is agreement that it might be desirable to make it work differently, I'll look into creating a plugin.

Thanks.
If you want Mantis to work differently, use or create a plugin. Visit the Plugins forums.
Ask developers to create a plugin that you need - and motivate them to help you!
atrol
Site Admin

Re: UnAssign on Resolved or Closed?

Post by atrol »

Look at the various developer related sections (e.g. Developer Stats) on summary page.
We would lose this functionality if users are unassigned when resolving or closing.
Please use Search before posting and read the Manual
Starbuck

Post by Starbuck »

Well, that seems to be an issue with the implementation.
The current status of an issue at the time of being closed is that no one is assigned to do anything more with it.
If statistics are required for what was done with a ticket, they should look at the history when required. If an individual is responsible for a ticket from its initial assignment until close time, then the stats just need to look at the first assignment in the history, not at the last assignment when the ticket was closed. If other developers were in volved in the processing, their time on the task can be seen as an aggregation of periods when they were assigned.

Am I misunderstanding those stats?
Or ... is my thought about how it might work valid, and it just doesn't work that way?

Thanks!
If you want Mantis to work differently, use or create a plugin. Visit the Plugins forums.
Ask developers to create a plugin that you need - and motivate them to help you!
atrol
Site Admin

Post by atrol »

Starbuck wrote: 23 Mar 2018, 18:34 Or ... is my thought about how it might work valid, and it just doesn't work that way?
Right
Please use Search before posting and read the Manual
Starbuck

Post by Starbuck »

I didn't think this one through.... :oops: Looking more closely, appropriate filtering should select on status as well as assignment. This is exactly what the View does. It's irrelevant that a ticket is assigned if we filter out issues >=Resolved.
Thanks.