Project Subproject Category Tag

General discussion of Mantis.

Moderators: Developer, Contributor

Aksels

Project Subproject Category Tag

Post by Aksels »

Hi.
My name is Aksels, self employed and in urgent need of an task management tool. I am new to Mantis and first wanted to thank for this great piece of software.
I switched over from producteev, which does not work correctly at the moment.
In Producteev I used to have the following separation:
Networks: Here I divided my different customers and tasks for myself.
Projects: Different Projects lets say garden, RV Trailer, Car, Room for my eldest.
In the Projects there where Tasks like mowing this saturday, paint the walls of the room, cange oil on my car.
I used tags to mark tasks like ToDoSoon, Doing, Waiting for external things, Today.
Now that I switched to mantis I would like to copy that, but I am not sure how, and fear to make a mistake, that I can not easily change afterwards.

I thougt I would do it like that:
Customers as Projects.
Projects of Customers as Subprojects
Tasks as Bugreports
Tags as Tags.
I do not seem to need categories. Or should I?

Any suggestions appreciated.

Bye,
Aksels
atrol
Site Admin

Re: Project Subproject Category Tag

Post by atrol »

Do you plan to use the system just for your own purposes as a single user, or do you want also your customers to access the system?
Please use Search before posting and read the Manual
Starbuck

Re: Project Subproject Category Tag

Post by Starbuck »

I personally see a difference between Task management and Issue management. I track Mantis issues (bugs) using task management software.

There are many task management packages available. The one you choose may depend on your desire for thick or thin client, mobile access, off-line access, security, reporting options, and other details.

My preferred task management software is ToDoList, well maintained and very mature.
Original site and downloads: http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/5371/ToDoList
Very active support board and latest changes: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum ... st-support

ToDoList supports categories, tags, and references between tasks, plus time management, extensive and customizable reporting, and tons of other features. I live on it for business and personal use ... and I still install MantisBT for clients with their Issues, Bugs, Enhancements, etc.

HTH
If you want Mantis to work differently, use or create a plugin. Visit the Plugins forums.
Ask developers to create a plugin that you need - and motivate them to help you!