I'm gonna tell you a story...

General discussion of Mantis.

Moderators: Developer, Contributor

KGIII

I'm gonna tell you a story...

Post by KGIII »

I ain't even sorry for my behavior.

I'll start by simply saying that I'm the same KGIII from Slashdot. That's important. It provides ambiance and should explain many things.

I had a brilliant idea. It was brilliant.

I was gonna install a reporting tool for some WordPress users to manage a project. Trust me, this idea was brilliant. Softaculous happily offered me this stuff called Mantis. This idea was still pretty brilliant, or so it seemed.

It did seem so, too... Well, that was until I actually discovered it was written by someone on a mission.

In my effort to cryptically decipher this new mystery language that you speak in, I turned to Google. Google helpfully gave me pictures of bugs. That's unsurprising, really. "MantisBT" provided better results. Lesson learned.

Which is when I found the help file.

Yup, I found me the the manual. Holy crap! That's the entrance exam to use Mantis?!?

Which was when I signed up for the forum. I'm actually quite pleased that passing that test only took me two tries. I consider that a pretty good accomplishment.

I have not yet figured out if this is the most brilliant software that I've ever come across - or if it's the worst software I've come across. I'm pretty sure I'm not even qualified to opine! What have you done?!? What sort of madness is this? (I assume those answers are helpfully in the manual.)

I'm pretty sure it's the absolute most insane choice for my needs. I'm gonna try to smash it into shape and make it work. I ain't scared.

Don't worry... I'll read the damned manual. Whoever wrote that manual was also a person on a mission. You're either insane or brilliant.

Anyhow, I've further deduced that y'all have read the manual. I can tell, 'cause none of my questions are answered. My presumptions are that they've read the manual and figured it out on their own!

Tada! I told ya. I'd tell you a story. I ain't scared.
KGIII

Re: I'm gonna tell you a story...

Post by KGIII »

Update Day 487:

I have smashed it into a suitable thing. It's way, way more than I needed and I'm unsure if this project is a work of genius or if it is a work of insanity. I lean towards insanity, but I suspect the authors are on a mission that's far in excess of my little goals!

My users are mostly satisfied, albeit dreadfully confused.

I'm pretty sure this was like buying a dump truck when all I needed was a teaspoon.

My thanks to you crazy people and your insane software! I don't know what you were thinking, but it works!

Also, plugins are lies. Horrible lies. I was so happy when I found the plugins! So far, I made none work. None. Shine on, you crazy diamonds - and thanks for the lovely software. Is there somewhere I can drop off a donation with PayPal?
KGIII

Re: I'm gonna tell you a story...

Post by KGIII »

Update: Day 1027

Now that Bugs (that's what we've affectionately come to call him) has been populated and folks are learning the way around it, we have come to like him. We now see the power that is given to us and the many ways in which we can use this software.

I am quite grateful.

It's pretty much impossible for me to make it do anything in the way I'd like to do it. Customizing it is just bizarre and way out of my league. But, I have come to grips with Bugs.

Bugs is where we put stuff. You know, like who should do something and exactly who that someone should be. Bugs is pretty good at that and affords us far more choices than we need. I'd hide them but that's okay - I found the filters.

That's right... Bug's best feature is those filters. The UI is horrible and I can't change it. Still, it's absolutely glorious in its efficacy. I can filter anything - and that's fantastic! You crazy people had a plan! I see the light that is at the end of your tunnel! Bugs is pretty sweet. Installing it goes back in the "good ideas" category.