bugs.mantisbt.org sooooo sloooooowwwww

General discussion of Mantis.

Moderators: Developer, Contributor

ryandesign

bugs.mantisbt.org sooooo sloooooowwwww

Post by ryandesign »

See subject. :-) It's taking minutes to update bugs or add new ones. And trying to load the advanced search page fails completely. It draws the page up to the drop-down menu to select the reporter, at which point it dies with this message:

Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in /usr/local/httpd/vservers/htdocs/mantisbt.org/mantis/core/database_api.php on line 138

Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in Unknown on line 0

Or this one:

Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in /usr/local/httpd/vservers/htdocs/mantisbt.org/mantis/core/access_api.php on line 105

What is going on!

Post by Guest »

What is the CPU frequency on the machine you are running mantis on?

I know it's very slow. Takes about 5-10 secs to load a page on a 166MHz CPU.
ryandesign

Post by ryandesign »

I guess the administrator of bugs.mantisbt.org is going to have to answer that one, since I have no idea.

I don't think it's a CPU speed issue, though. Viewing bugs is fast. I think it's more likely a problem of missing indexes on some key fields. The MySQL slow query log would show the administrator what queries are taking so long, and running these through EXPLAIN could point to the field that needs the index.

Post by Guest »

hmm, if you have shell access you can view cpu usage on the machine. I just noticed, that on my old 166MHz pentium httpd starts using 95% CPU resources, of course on my laptop it runs much better, but cpu usage is still significant.
I also noticed this using mambo for example, try installing it and see if it is slow for you.
ryandesign

Post by ryandesign »

I do not have shell access to that server, no.

Perhaps I'm not being clear. I'm a regular user of Mantis. I have installed Mantis on my company's server. It's working great. That is not the problem. The problem is that I occasionally find bugs in Mantis itself, and need to therefore access the Mantis project's own bug tracker at bugs.mantisbt.org. It is this installation of Mantis that is extremely slow.

It looks like the extended search page now loads completely (no more PHP maximum execution time exceeded errors), but it's still very slow. I just timed it. It takes 48 seconds for the page to start displaying at all, and it draws up to and including the "Reporter" box. At 1 minute 53 seconds, the page continues drawing, now displaying up to and including the "Fixed in Version" box. The next time the page redraws is 2 minutes 50 seconds after I clicked the link, and now the page is completely drawn.

Clearly this is ludicrous. Can the Mantis admins please respond?
thraxisp
Developer

Post by thraxisp »

Part of the problem may be the large number of user accounts. We are investigating and profiling the code to improve the situation. We're open to other suggestions.

Additional indexes are also in the works.

In the interim, the execution time limits were raised to allow some operations to complete.