Mantis emailing to all users

Get help from other users here.

Moderators: Developer, Contributor

newmantisuser

Mantis emailing to all users

Post by newmantisuser »

Hi guys,

Weird issue. We had an issue trying to get Mantis to talk to a few mail servers and eventually gave up and went with a service called SMTP2GO.com. Works great, but what I have noticed now is when I add a new entry, the email is getting sent to the same 5 individuals (even if they have not been assigned to the entry to begin with). This is very strange and have no idea how to fix it.

On the SMTP2GO.com website it shows all the emails sent and who whom, and the same 5 addresses are the recipients of mantis automatic emails even if they have nothing to do with the entry i'm working on.

07/20/2015 17:53:58 kpomeroy@xxx [Quality Management - Audit Findings 0002204]: lkjh tmcgarry@.com
07/20/2015 17:53:57 kpomeroy@xxx [Quality Management - Audit Findings 0002204]: lkjh bhunt@.ca
07/20/2015 17:53:56 kpomeroy@xxx[Quality Management - Audit Findings 0002204]: lkjh pwilliams@.com
07/20/2015 17:53:55 kpomeroy@xxxx[Quality Management - Audit Findings 0002204]: lkjh bdocherty@.com
07/20/2015 17:53:54 kpomeroy@xxx [Quality Management - Audit Findings 0002204]: lkjh lpurchase@.com

edit - I just found out that these were the last 5 accounts created on the system..if that helps anyone..I am going to remove them and see what happens...

edit # 2 - I removed those 5 users, and created a new entry and assigned it to just ME. When I checked the email logs it was sent to every active Mantis account on the system
I may have something screwed up in the email notifications page perhaps? All the boxes are checked on the email notifications page...

totally stumped....
Last edited by newmantisuser on 21 Jul 2015, 13:21, edited 2 times in total.
atrol
Site Admin

Re: Mantis emailing to the same 5 users

Post by atrol »

You can enable system logging for e-mail notifications
https://www.mantisbt.org/docs/master-1. ... IG.LOGGING
Please use Search before posting and read the Manual
newmantisuser

Post by newmantisuser »

so I have disabled all the email notifications for each user. I assigned an entry to a user, but a different user got the email (when going into each persons account to disable all the email notifications, I missed hers by mistake, and when I assigned the new entry to user X she got an email about it (user Y). Very strange. It seems like Mantis is confused as to who to send email to. Can anyone suggest a fix or something to try?
newmantisuser

Post by newmantisuser »

atrol wrote:You can enable system logging for e-mail notifications
https://www.mantisbt.org/docs/master-1. ... IG.LOGGING
Yes thats all well and good but when you actually try and IMPLEMENT what the manual says, it breaks mantis

# logging of email notification issue
$g_log_destination = 'file:/tmp/mantis.txt';
$g_log_level = EMAIL_RECIPIENT;

and then reloading Mantis results in a blank page, once I comment out those two entries, save, and reload the page, Mantis works again.
atrol
Site Admin

Post by atrol »

newmantisuser wrote: $g_log_level = EMAIL_RECIPIENT;
Let me know if there is something wrong in the manual.
I found just LOG_EMAIL and LOG_EMAIL_RECIPIENT but not EMAIL_RECIPIENT
newmantisuser

Post by newmantisuser »

whoops. I've corrected, saved the config file and reloaded mantis only to see the dreaded blank / white screen.

# logging of email notification issue
$g_log_destination = 'file:/tmp/mantis.txt';
$g_log_level = LOG_EMAIL_RECIPIENT;
atrol
Site Admin

Re: Mantis emailing to all users

Post by atrol »

No idea what you are doing wrong, check your web server logs
This worked for you in 2013 viewtopic.php?f=2&t=21677&p=53049#p53049
newmantisuser

Post by newmantisuser »

atrol wrote:No idea what you are doing wrong, check your web server logs
This worked for you in 2013 viewtopic.php?f=2&t=21677&p=53049#p53049
Your instructions are different than what the manual says. I tried what you typed to me in 2013 and as expected, Once I save the config file and reload mantis via F5 nothing is displayed and the page is white. I have found many times that when reading the manual, and then trying the configuration options rarely works. Most times the system breaks and you have to gto back and comment out what you just put in in order to get it working again.

Thanks for trying though.
atrol
Site Admin

Post by atrol »

newmantisuser wrote: Your instructions are different than what the manual says.
Please be more precise, what is the difference?
newmantisuser

Post by newmantisuser »

Your instructions you posted in 2013 are correct, but for me, when I go into edit config_inc.php and then save, and then reload the page, Mantis never displays anything until I to back to the configuration file, comment out the changes, save and then reload the page, then Mantis works fine again. I have found that a lot of configuration options I have tried to implement into the config_inc.php file never work and just end up breaking Mantis.

I must have something misconfigured with the email notifications page and each users account preferences.
atrol
Site Admin

Post by atrol »

Still the same
atrol wrote:No idea what you are doing wrong, check your web server logs
newmantisuser

Post by newmantisuser »

The apache2 web server logs don't really show me how mantis is sending out emails though. I may have it sorted out now actually. I will update once I do some more testing.
atrol
Site Admin

Post by atrol »

newmantisuser wrote:The apache2 web server logs don't really show me how mantis is sending out emails though.
But they show if you are introducing PHP syntax errors with your changes. That's why I am asking.
newmantisuser

Post by newmantisuser »

Why is it that when a regular user (developer) logs in and creates an entry and assigns it to me (deverloper) EVERYONE gets an email? Why can't I set up Mantis so that if a user assigns an item to ME, only I get the email instead of every user?

see attached..
Attachments
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (39.7 KiB) Viewed 11171 times
atrol
Site Admin

Post by atrol »

Really everyone (which means also users with access levels like reporter)?

This is what I see on the right section "Access Levels" of your screenshot.
You have changed the default configuration so that all developers, all managers and all administrators get e-mail
a) whenever a note is added to an issue
b) whenever a new issue is created