Keep custom changes after updating version

Get help from other users here.

Moderators: Developer, Contributor

rienkwind

Keep custom changes after updating version

Post by rienkwind »

Hello,

I've made some custom changes to Mantis in different files. The problem I have is that when I update to a new version, the custom changes get overridden. So is there a easy way to keep the custom changes and safely go to the newest version?
atrol
Site Admin

Re: Keep custom changes after updating version

Post by atrol »

Most of the time there is no need to change any of the existing Mantis files for customization, as quite a lot of customization can be done by setting configuration options, writing custom functions are writing plugins.

I recommend to use a source code control system like Git if you really need to change existing Mantis source code.
It's quite easy with Git to maintain your own code in a separate branch and to refresh your code from time to time with latest changes from Mantis.
Please use Search before posting and read the Manual
jsonr

Re: Keep custom changes after updating version

Post by jsonr »

I used to have quite a few local changes which I tracked with a local git branch that I merged releases into. But after dealing with some merge conflicts during the 2.x series, I moved a lot of the changes I had into plugins, leaving just my config, extra css and some changes to strings in the translation files.