New User Quick Reference documentation?

Get help from other users here.

Moderators: Developer, Contributor

bamaustin2000

New User Quick Reference documentation?

Post by bamaustin2000 »

Although there are Administrator and Developer manuals online, I haven't found any User oriented documentation.

I'd like to establish a common vocabulary about the Mantis GUI with the users. It helps when giving instructions to users via eMail. Although creating a new report is straight-forward, Filters have a lot of options which can accidentally mask the report being sought.

The other thing I'd like to add a link to a similar GUI vocabulary for the software addressed by the MantisBT installation.
see https://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/ind ... ain_Window

Nor have I found anything in the MantisBT GUI where Users could seek help except an Administrator eMail link. (I suppose we could add a help webpage link there by customizing the footer.)

-Brian
Starbuck

Re: New User Quick Reference documentation?

Post by Starbuck »

My business is a one-man shop for the most part. I have many clients of different sizes with different needs. I have many colleagues around the world, and we collaborate on some projects. I've introduced MantisBT to my clients and colleagues, and everyone who gets started with it loves it after that first moment of confusion that is present with any new and complex application. I do not have an installation with more than 6 users. None of the installations are public yet.

So I've had a need to create end-user documentation for each of these individuals, teams, clients, entities. The doc needs to be unique for each installation, with text like "discuss new status options with this_guy" or "common categories for our purposes include...". I have this in a Google Doc, with little screenshots to highlight each area of focus, and to show examples of installation-specific projects and tickets. So whenever I do a new installation I copy this document, change some of these details, then give the new users a link.

I'll create another one of these, a generic base document, masking the images and highlight names and other text that should be site-specific. I'll post a link here within the next two weeks. Everyone will then be free to copy the doc, add or remove content as desired, and to submit suggestions for new contributions for content here. I'll note here when changes are made to the base material. This will NOT be a simple link for anyone to send to their users. Not yet anyway. Site admins will take on the responsibility of maintaining their own documents for their own users. The text and screenshots may evolve in a more general-purpose direction but I don't have the time for that yet.

The concept of FOSS includes documentation. If this is generally accepted then maybe we can get it hosted with the other docs here and issues and change requests can be posted like any other component of MantisBT.

I hope this will be helpful.
If you want Mantis to work differently, use or create a plugin. Visit the Plugins forums.
Ask developers to create a plugin that you need - and motivate them to help you!
bamaustin2000

Post by bamaustin2000 »

That sounds great. Thanks Starbuck! I'd offer to buy you a drink but don't know if you're a grog, ambrosia, or Pumpkin Spice Latte era Starbuck.
Starbuck

Post by Starbuck »

Ooooooooooo - you are so on top of all of those references. I'm impressed! :mrgreen:
Definitely ambrosia, but while stuck on this planet the latte will have to do.

We have guests through next week and I'll have to publish the doc later next week. I hope that's OK.
If you want Mantis to work differently, use or create a plugin. Visit the Plugins forums.
Ask developers to create a plugin that you need - and motivate them to help you!