Questions about markdown support

Get help from other users here.

Moderators: Developer, Contributor

grante

Questions about markdown support

Post by grante »

I've recently upgraded to 2.23.0, and I was happy to see that markdown formatting is now supported.

I'm going to propose to my users that it be enabled, but there are a few questions I haven't been able to answer after reading the documentation:
  • When markdown formatting is enabled, how will that affect old notes and descriptions where people have used some of the html tags that were allowed (e.g. <pre></pre>)?
  • When entering markdown source is there some sort of "preview" feature?
  • What flavor of markdown is supported — and with what extensions? [e.g. tables?]
... and thanks for choosing markdown instead of bbcode!
grante

Re: Questions about markdown support

Post by grante »

I believe I've found answers to a couple of my questions:
When markdown formatting is enabled, how will that affect old notes and descriptions where people have used some of the html tags that were allowed (e.g. <pre></pre>)?
I don't know yet. It would be nice if markdown processing was only applied to notes that were entered while markdown formatting was enabled.
When entering markdown source is there some sort of "preview" feature?
It appears not. Do people use a separate markdown editor/previewer and paste the result into Mantis, or just use the "edit" link in Mantis?
What flavor of markdown is supported — and with what extensions? [e.g. tables?]
It's the parsedown library which implements GitHub flavored markdown [includes table support].