How to Set up password for Newly created user account ?

Get help from other users here.

Moderators: Developer, Contributor

mathanblr

How to Set up password for Newly created user account ?

Post by mathanblr »

Hello Everybody!

I am a newbie for this form as well as Mantis. I am able to login to the session with administrator account with the given default password, Also, I am able to create new users from manage users section. but am unable to setup the password. in fact there is no password field where we can mention a password for the user. User user account is getting created. All my server tools are running fine.

In Regards to this matter, when I look in to the user manual section # System Management Pages

1. Manage Users - Its mentioned that " After creating the user with mantis, open mantis_user_table, set the password field to empty. login to Mantis using the new user id without password(remember, you juts set to EMPTY), now you can set the new password using Mantis UI!!"

I was able to locate the mantis_user_table. But how do I change the field. means which tool do I open this table.

Is this a table or a Database. I am very new to this Mantis. and have no pre knowledge about mysql or php. just wanted to user this bug reporting tool.

can someone please post the step by step guide to solve the above mention problem ..

Thanks in advance,

Mathan. S
vzw614

Re: How to Set up password for Newly created user account ?

Post by vzw614 »

What database are you using?

Mantis_user_table is a table in the mantis database (usually named bugtracker if you accepted defaults when installing Mantis).

You will need to use a DB tool to open that table and edit the password field. SQL Enterprise Manager (for MS SQL) or possibly mysqladmin for MySQL.
mathanblr

Unable to Open the DB file ? plz healp!

Post by mathanblr »

Hello,
Thank you for the quick response. As I am not very familiar with the DBA tool or DB administration, could you please post me the steps of how to open the table and edit them in a simple manner. All what we want it to have our QA's to user the Mantis Bug reporter .

so if you could tell me the simple steps like, which BD tool to to install and how to access that database or the tables;

all what I can find is ;
\\10.128.51.77\d$\mantis\InstantMantis-1.1.1\data\mantis
1. mantis_user_table.frm
2. mantis_user_table.MYD
3. mantis_user_table.MYI

What are these files stands for. if I need to edit them how to open them on a tool. Please do provide me simple steps as Iam very new to this.

Regards,

Mathan. S
blastthisinferno

Post by blastthisinferno »

did you set Mantis up using MySQL as the database?
mantis_user

Post by mantis_user »

when you create a new ID, there is a field where you need to enter the user's email id. An automatic email will be sent
to this user's email id to inform him that his ID has created, and he has to follow a link provided in the email to complete his registration. If he click on the link in his email, he will be brought to the Mantis screen for him to enter his new password. You do not need to do anything.

If for some reason you wish to update the new password for the new user instead of allowing him to update his own new password, I suggest that you enter your own email id when you create the new Mantis ID. In this way, the automatic notification email with the link will be sent to your email id, then you can proceed to do the necessary to update the password, and then after that, go back into Mantis and replace your email id with the user's email id. (I hope you understand what I am trying to explain here)

The above is the correct non-technical way of handling this matter.
Richard416282

Post by Richard416282 »

In Instant MantisBT there is no dIrect way to 'View' or edit the password as typically, they are scrambled by the Software and Stored in the Database as a Scrambled Value. (USUALLY).

However, if you wish to change some CONFIguration FIles witha Text Editor, and Restart your IMSTART.EXE after Running your IMSTOP.EXE so that the Instant Mantis can re-load your configuration files, change the parameter $g_send_reset_passowrd = ON at Line 182 of the file

Code: Select all

config_defaults.inc.php
in your
Default Path/Root/Mantis/
directory.

After Restarting IMSTART.EXE , and logging in with administrator/root or whatever you initially chose, now you can reset the USER Passwords to blank, and get users to Submit Bug Reports etc.

8)
duongnvm

Post by duongnvm »

Be integrated with email systems to work conveniently mantis. Through the configuration file config_inc.php.
# --- Setting up the mail Configuration ---
$g_phpMailer_method = 2;
$g_smtp_host = 'xxx.xxx.xxx';