Version running on mantisbt.org

General discussion of Mantis.

Moderators: Developer, Contributor

obmsch

Version running on mantisbt.org

Post by obmsch »

With the release of MantisBT 2.8, your own Tracker (still 2.5.1-master-...) is way behind.
Makes me wonder if that's a simple oversight or anything else stops you from upgrading.
In any case I would feel more confident installing a new release, if org runs that too.

Martin
atrol
Site Admin

Re: Version running on mantisbt.org

Post by atrol »

obmsch wrote:if that's a simple oversight
It's no oversight, we are complete aware of it.

I am running latest code in my production environment (standard Mantis with some custom fields and custom status values and custom workflows) without problems.
AFAIK another core developer uses also latest code in his production environment.
So 2.8.0 could be a good one for you if you are not affected by https://www.mantisbt.org/bugs/view.php?id=23599
Please use Search before posting and read the Manual
obmsch

Post by obmsch »

So that's a regression introduced with 2.8, but there are 2.6 and 2.7.
Despite of the additional effort that would put on the spare time of the core developers,
I would recommend to keep org in sync with the latest release. Step back to latest stable
if regressions require that. Fix as soon as possible and sync again. If you are not using a
release on org why any user should do.
I really appreciate all the work done and I am a grateful user for years.
Thanks for what it is and I keep my update policy adjusted.

Martin
atrol
Site Admin

Post by atrol »

obmsch wrote:If you are not using a release on org why any user should do.
- because the user wants or needs latest enhancements and fixes
- because there will hardly be fixes for any other release than 2.8.x and 2.9.x

Your decision which version you run should not depend on which version is running on mantisbt.org.
e.g. I also don't run the same Apache web server version that the Apache team is using (a quite old one) on their own website.

If your priority has to be security, run the version with the latest security fixes.

If security must not be your highest priority, run any version where you don't encounter any major issue.
Upgrade just, if there is a new feature in a newer version with real good value for you.
Do not upgrade, just because there is one available.
Please use Search before posting and read the Manual