receiving email notifications via a daily digest

Get help from other users here.

Moderators: Developer, Contributor

nerdtron

receiving email notifications via a daily digest

Post by nerdtron »

We've installed MantisBT on our web server and have Email notifications enabled.

Currently, a separate Email is sent for each applicable event.

Is there any way for a user to request that the notifications be sent to them as a single daily digest email? Rather than receiving a separate Email for each notification?

Version Info:
MantisBT v2.17.1
PHP 5.6.36
MySQL 5.6.39
Apache 2.6.32
atrol
Site Admin

Re: receiving email notifications via a daily digest

Post by atrol »

Please use Search before posting and read the Manual
nerdtron

Post by nerdtron »

Thanks for the reply! Looks like it may be worth spending some time to develop a plug-in. For now I've asked those who requested it to setup an inbox filter so all the notifications go into a folder. Having a digest would be a nice per-user option though.
nerdtron

Post by nerdtron »

I did some reading in the developer docs on plug-ins. Here's how I'm thinking it could work.
  • intercept sending Email notifications
  • check global preference and/or user specific setting for a digest preference and only continue if applicable
  • rather than sending the EMail, log the notification in a table
  • have a periodic script, runnable via cron that works through the table used above and for each user groups and formats all their notifications into a single digest Email
  • setup a cron job to run the script daily
Not entirely sure this is achievable with the current plug-in architecture and set of events in MantisBT though.
atrol
Site Admin

Post by atrol »

I can't invest a lot of time in this, thus just a few hints that might help.
nerdtron wrote: 15 Oct 2018, 23:19 rather than sending the EMail, log the notification in a table
No need to implement it yourself, this is exactly how Mantis notifications work, use this function from core/email_api.php for it

Code: Select all

/**
 * Store email in queue for sending
 * @param string  $p_recipient Email recipient address.
 * @param string  $p_subject   Subject of email message.
 * @param string  $p_message   Body text of email message.
 * @param array   $p_headers   Array of additional headers to send with the email.
 * @param boolean $p_force     True to force sending of emails in shutdown function,
 *                             even when using cronjob
 * @return integer|null
 */
function email_store( $p_recipient, $p_subject, $p_message, array $p_headers = null, $p_force = false )
nerdtron wrote: 15 Oct 2018, 23:19 have a periodic script, runnable via cron that works through the table used above and for each user groups and formats all their notifications into a single digest Email
setup a cron job to run the script daily
Have a look at scripts/send_emails.php and check option $g_email_send_using_cronjob in Admin Guide
http://mantisbt.org/docs/master/en-US/A ... nfig.email
Please use Search before posting and read the Manual
nerdtron

Post by nerdtron »

Thanks for the reply and the hints. I'll try and dig into that if I can find some time to do so.