Reporting bugs against unreleased product versions

General discussion of Mantis.

Moderators: Developer, Contributor

Steve Webster

Reporting bugs against unreleased product versions

Post by Steve Webster »

Like many software houses, our product is in a constant development/test/review cycle. When we find bugs that only exist in the development version of our product, we'd like to file a bug report against that version. Unfortunately, mantis only lists product versions marked as 'released' in the appropriate drop-down.

This leaves us with two options. We either mark all our version as released, even if they aren't yet released, or we revert to using scrappy bits of paper to record bugs in the development version. Neither of these options is really satisfactory.

What is the rationale behind Mantis' stance on bugs only being able to be files against released product versions? Sure, I could edit the code myself to allow me to file bugs against development versions, but that would make upgrading Mantis much more tricky than I would like it to be.
vboctor
Site Admin

Post by vboctor »

I think reporting issues against only released issues make sense. However, this is only as far as external customers are concerned. But for internal staff, they should be able to report issues again unreleased versions as well.

Hence, I think there should be a new config option that allows setting an access level threshold above which the user should be able to report issues against unreleased versions.

$g_report_issues_for_unreleased_versions_threshold = DEVELOPER;

Does this fully solve your issue? If so, please put in a feature request in the bugtracker, and feel free to submit a patch if you have the time.

Regards,
Victor.
Steve Webster

Post by Steve Webster »

Hi Victor,

That sounds good to me - customers certainly don't have unreleased versions of our product.

I'll file the report and see if I can come up with a patch!

Cheers,

Steve
vboctor
Site Admin

Post by vboctor »

That would be excellent. Also post the issue id here for future reference.

Regards,
Victor
Steve Webster

Post by Steve Webster »

Issue reported - #5263

http://bugs.mantisbt.org/view.php?id=5263

Looking into this now.
swebster

Post by swebster »

Okay, I've created a provisional patch for this and attached it to the bug report.

There's also a question in the notes that I guess is a policy thing. Maybe you can answer that one Victor?
Brian Biggs

Post by Brian Biggs »

This is a feature my organization would find very useful. Based on the notes in the issue, I see it was added back in February. Is it a feature of the current RC1 version, or has it not made it into the main code tree yet? Thanks for the contribution!
jimjim

Post by jimjim »

likewise.. thanks for the contribution!

-----
Dickies Medical Uniforms