This release marks the first official release in the 1.2.x series of MantisBT.
1.2.0 is a major feature release for MantisBT, and includes many bugfixes and enhancements over the 1.1.x stable branch. All users of 1.1.x are highly encouraged to upgrade as soon as possible.
A full changelog for the 1.2.x series can be found on the official site. 
There are many new features added to 1.2.0, including:
- Converted the MantisBT Manual to Docbook format, and added a new Developer’s Guide manual, both of which are compiled and included in every release
- Implemented a plugin system with many plugins already released 
- Global categories available to all projects, as well as project
- categories inheriting from parent projects to child projects; both are optional
- Tracked change history for textarea fields (Description, etc) and bug notes
- Customizable sets of columns for View Issues page and export formats
- Combined simple and advanced views into a single, configurable view that allows selecting exactly what fields to show or hide
- Improved roadmap and changelog pages, including version release dates, and permalinks to individual versions
- Marking versions as obsolete to hide them from the roadmap and changelog
- More configuration options for rebranding MantisBT installations
- Improved support for PostgreSQL databases
- Improved support for UTF-8 localizations and content
- Implemented custom search providers for Firefox and Internet Explorer
- Implemented localized timestamps using according to user-preferred timezones
There have also been many improvements to the codebase beyond adding features:
- Migrated to parameterised database queries throughout the codebase for both performance and security improvements
- Added PHPDoc compatible documentation to all internal API’s
- Removed many hardcoded references to access levels and other enumerations, for improved customizability.
- Migrated away from DATETIME fields to integer timestamps for timezone usage
- All 3rd party code is now contained within the library/ path, including documentation on library versions and any patches applied
- Initial support for MySQL 6 and PHP 5.3
 MantisForge is now the preferred code collaboration site for MantisBT, including free hosting of MantisBT-related Git repositories for development of contributions to MantisBT itself or community plugins.